Saturday, July 01, 2006

4 New Expectations for Mentors

pastor's wife, we found this resource article on MENTORING...

Rebekah Montgomery, Editor

Mentors are important to everyone, but especially to women. In Titus 2, Paul tells women to mentor one another.

Right to the Heart of Women editor Rebekah Montgomery gives us 4 New Expectations for Mentors.
-------
When I entered the ministry, I thought I knew it all - until I grew up a little. Then I was desperate for another woman who could show me the ropes so I wouldn't accidentally hang myself.

I needed a mentor. Actually, what I discovered was that I needed several mentors in different areas.

I still do. But experience has taught me to have new expectations of ministry mentors.

Old Expectation:
My mentors and I should have a lot - gifts, callings, goals, doctrines, experiences, etc. - in common.
New Expectation:

Mentors can be mismatches.

Women tend to be comfortable with other women with which they have a lot in common. But that doesn't leave much room for challenge or personnel growth. And it limits ministry potential. If a certain Carpenter hadn't reached out to include fishermen, a tax collector, and a political extremist in His sphere of influence, where would we all be? We should do the same.

Old Expectation: I look for my mentor higher-up on the "food chain."
New Expectation: A good mentor is anyone I can learn from.


A prominent writer/speaker related how a wannabe followed her around at an event with puppy dog eyes wanting to be mentored. "She didn't seem to care that I was in the middle of a family crisis. She wanted only to tell me about herself and her ministry. She saw me only as a stepping stone instead of a friend."

There are literally millions of Godly anointed women the world over. Be open to learn what you can from every one God puts in your path. But be sensitive. It's more important to build relationships than to build your ministry.

Old Expectation: Mentors pick their protégés.
New Expectation: Protégés pick their mentors.


Women often ask me how I became involved with Right to the Heart ministries. Initially, it was recommended to me by Gene Kent, husband of Carol Kent. Believe me: I studied the ministry and Linda Evans Shepherd very carefully. Then I volunteered to help.

I suggest that you do the same if you are seeking a ministry mentor. Study the ministry and its leaders. Ask questions. If you have something to contribute, volunteer. Don't expect to be paid. Come to serve.

Old Expectation: You're a mentor or a "mentee".
New Expectation: Everyone needs mentors.

Be quick to learn. Women can be very judgmental of one another, slicing and dicing another woman down to size. Learn from the woman whose ministry God is blessing rather than harbor jealousy or speak against it.

And be quick to be a shoulder others can lean on. You'll learn a lot. You give as much as you get when you are a mentor to others.

Rebekah Montgomery is the editor of Right to the Heart of Women e-zine, a publisher at Jubilant Press, and the author of numerous books on spiritual growth. She can be contacted for comments or speaking engagements at rebekahmontgomery.com

No comments: