Thursday, August 03, 2006

Secrets of a fruitful ministry

pastor's wife, thought i'd share part of this resource i read on FRUITFULNESS

Secrets of a fruitful ministry
by Rick Warren

Most people are interested in productivity. But the Bible doesn’t use the word "productivity;" instead, you’ll find the word "fruitfulness.”

God wants us to have fruitful ministrie. I want to show you some principles that will produce a godly fruitfulness in your life. I believe there are four conditions that are essential for a fruitful ministry.

First, you must cultivate roots.
God says there’s no fruit without roots. You need roots particularly when your resources are limited, for when times of drought come along.

A drought in your life is whenever you must do without something you need, such as time, energy, money, or support. There will be times of drought in your ministry. Perhaps you’re even in one now.

Second, you must eliminate the weeds in your life and ministry.
The weeds in your ministry, and in your life, are anything that hinder or limit your spiritual growth. Weeds are the things that choke your relationship to Christ or that prevent you from further growth.

Weeds are a sign of neglect. I’ve found that when I neglect my quiet time, when I neglect my personal maintenance, like walking and staying physically fit, and when I neglect key relationships in my life, the weeds start to grow and begin choking my productivity.

Third, you must cooperate with God’s pruning in your life.
What is pruning? Pruning involves cutting off not only dead branches but also living ones as well in order to improve the shape of the plant and stimulate growth. Pruning is essential for increased productivity. It’s not optional. If you’re going to be productive in ministry, God will put you through times of pruning.

God prunes you for fruitfulness. In your life it’s not only the dead wood that God cuts off; he also cuts back areas of success, even areas that are bearing wonderful fruit.

When he does this you might struggle to understand why, but the reason is he is preparing you for even greater ministry.

Fourth, you must wait for the harvest.
Growing fruit takes time. It doesn’t come automatically. You don’t plant a seed in the ground and harvest it the next day.

Just as a seed creates new life out of death, for you to be more effective in your ministry there’s a dying to your old nature, a dying to your own desires and ambitions in the waiting process. Growth takes time but don’t give up. Stay plugged into Jesus Christ.

Maybe you’ve been dormant in your ministry for some time. My prayer is that you’ll give yourself to Christ, saying, "Lord, I want to work on these four things: cultivating my roots, eliminating the weeds, cooperating with your pruning, and waiting for the harvest. God, I trust you with what I’ve planted, and I trust that what I have sown I will inevitably reap a harvest for you.”

That is the law of the harvest.

Rick Warren

No comments: