Friday, December 08, 2006

Devotional: "Thanking God for Tests"

source: crosswalk
Glynnis Whitwer, Senior Editor – "P31 Woman Magazine," Proverbs 31
Speaker Team Member



Key Verse:

James 1:2-3, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face
trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith
develops perseverance." (NIV)



Devotion:

My son sauntered from his room, proudly announcing he was ready for
his test the next day. "I've studied all my notes, and I'm gonna ace
that test," he proclaimed.



"Great!" I replied. "Grab your notes and let me give you a little quiz."



We settled down at the kitchen table and I proceeded to ask questions.
One question after another was met with a shaky answer, most of them
wrong. With his inadequate preparation revealed, he headed back to
his room, notes in hand. After another period of study, he did
indeed sail through the questions.



The pop quiz I gave made my son very uncomfortable. He was sad that
he wasn't ready, and sadder that he had to go back and study harder.
My intent was certainly not to hurt his feelings, but to reveal the
weak areas of his study so he could tighten the gaps and be ready for
the real test.



Just as I tested my son, God tests me. He often puts me in
uncomfortable positions to uncover weak areas. God doesn't point out
my weakness to take advantage of me. Instead, His testing is to
reveal areas that need work, so I will be strong enough to persevere
and eventually succeed in what He's called me to do.



God uses all kinds of life situations to test us. Testing can take
the form of difficult people in our lives, times of waiting, or a
challenge to step outside our comfort zone to be obedient. Will we
avoid the situation? Will we suffer through it and quit because it's
too hard? Or will we persevere and overcome?



We might think God gets frustrated with us when we "fail" a test. I
sometimes wonder if God wants to give up on me when I repeat the same
mistakes. But just because my son didn't know the answers on our
mini-quiz didn't mean I would give up on him. Just the opposite! I
wanted him to succeed and was willing to give him test after test to
make sure he was ready.



God's testing can be to prepare us for something more important, and
often more difficult. He wants to see if we can sustain the pressure
in preparation for something big. So, the next time your Heavenly
Father calls you up for a pop-quiz, consider His desire to see you
succeed. If a weakness is revealed, thank Him for helping you move to
the next level by strengthening you.



My Prayer for Today:

Precious Lord, thank You for caring enough about my character and life
to test me. Help me to see Your testing as a sign of Your love, and
to be thankful for it. I pray for strength through Your Holy Spirit
to walk in obedience and persevere. In Jesus' Name, Amen.



Application Steps:

Identify one difficult situation in your life. Determine to see it as
a test of your faith. Ask God for strength to persevere.



Reflection Points:

Read Deuteronomy 8:1-5. What testing did the Lord put upon the Israelites?



According to the Scripture, what was God's purpose for this testing?



What life situations have you recently experienced that might have
been a time of testing?



Can you see God's purpose in this testing?



Was a personal weakness revealed? If so, how do you think God wants
you to address this weakness?



Power Verses:

Luke 8:13, "Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with
joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a
while, but in the time of testing they fall away." (NIV)



1 Corinthians 3:12-13, "If any man builds on this foundation using
gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be
shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will
be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each
man's work." (NIV)



Exodus 16:4, "Then the LORD said to Moses, "I will rain down bread
from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather
enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they
will follow my instructions." (NIV)



Deuteronomy 8:2, "Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way
in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in
order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep
his commands." (NIV)

No comments: