Friday, December 08, 2006

"Relationships"

source: Crosswalk

Melissa Taylor, Speaker Team Member, Proverbs 31 Board of Directors
Crosswalk



Key Verse:

Ecclesiastes 4:2, "A person standing alone can be attacked and
defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even
better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken." (NLT)



Devotion:

Relationships are an important part of life. We begin a relationship
with someone from the moment we are born and most of us will continue
in relationships of some sort until the day we die. God encourages
relationships. The Bible is full of them. It is obvious that from the
beginning of time, people need people. Even God Himself said about
Adam in Genesis 2:18, "It is not good for man to be alone. I will make
a companion who will help him." Jesus, too, did not do life alone. He
had His family, friends, and disciples to love, help, and encourages
Him throughout His life here on earth.



Today, I want to take a look at the different relationships in our
lives. I also want to point out the importance of prioritizing them.
Friends, if you want to lead a balanced life with purpose, it is
crucial to order the relationships in your life God's way.



Number One: Your Relationship with God.
This should be the most important relationship in your life.
Don't say that you don't have time– you do.
We make the time for what is important to us, don't we?
The way to get to know God better is to spend time in His Word. Try
spending at least fifteen minutes of uninterrupted time with the Lord
every day. More would be better, but do what you can to develop the
habit. God's Word will teach, equip, cheer, encourage, and guide you.



Number Two: Your Relationship with your husband….if you are married,
of course.
Just like it's important to spend time with God, it's also
important to make time for your husband. I have found that this
relationship is the one that takes the most effort for me. I love my
husband dearly, but I also take him for granted the most. It's easy
for me to allow my children, friends, or just busyness to get in the
way of time with my husband. Set aside time each morning and evening
to communicate with your husband in some way. Hug and kiss often and
say "I love you" whenever you get the chance. Let your actions show
him and others that you respect and honor him. One thing that my
husband and I have started doing again is dating. Just like before we
were married, we go out on dates. It takes time, effort, and often
money, but it's worth the investment. If money is tight, create a date
at home or go to the park or for a walk together. Whatever it takes,
spend time alone together, and make it a weekly habit.



Number three: Your relationship with your children….if you are a mom.
When I became a mom, I did not know what I was in for. I had no idea
the extent of sacrifice it would take to raise my children. It's worth
every bit of it too. I once read that kids spell love - T I M E. I
believe that with all my heart. God's Word tells us that children are
a gift from Him. We are to treat them like that, a gift. Motherhood is
a high calling….possibly the highest we will ever have in our lives.
It requires time and special attention. They are only with us for a
short time, so let's make the most of it.



Number 4: Your relationship with others.
This includes everyone reading this.
Our relationships with other people could include
family, friends, business associates, mentors, neighbors and more.
These are important, and in order to develop, grow, and nurture these
relationships, time is needed. I happen to be blessed with many
friends and cherished family members. Although I don't have time to
spend with them each day, I always want them to know how important
they are in my life and how much I love them. That takes effort on my
part, but what I receive back is priceless. If you find yourself
lacking in this area, create special moments with these special people
in your life. Make a phone call. Mail a card. Send an email. Invite to
lunch. Have a party. Create a "girls' night out" event. Pray for them.



Ecclesiastes 4:2 tells us that alone we can be attacked and defeated.
This says to me, that we need people in our lives. We weren't meant to
go this life alone. It is often someone close to me who reminds me
that I'm special when I'm feeling defeated. When I am alone, I often
listen to the wrong voice if I'm not careful. The people in my life
offer me love, encouragement, and fulfillment that tell me otherwise.
I often refer to them as Jesus with skin on. This verse goes on to say
that "two can stand back to back and conquer". Then there is my
favorite part. It's when God is a part of our relationships. "Three
are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken."



My Prayer for Today:

Dear Lord, Bless the relationships in my life and help me to
prioritize them according to Your perfect plan. Above all, I pray that
we would grow closer each day. Help me to know you better so I can
better give myself to others. In Jesus' Name, Amen.



Application Steps:

Look at the relationships in your life. Take note as to how much time
you are spending on each of them.



Set a date with the people in your life who need your time. Schedule
your time with God daily and write it on your daily planner if you
have one. Plan a date with your husband and arrange for a sitter if
needed. Sit down and listen to your children one on one. Let them know
you are interested in them. Plan a fun girls' night out next month.
Maybe go to dinner or a movie or play tennis with a friend. Just
remember to keep God's perspective and balance when making your plans.



Reflection Points:

Do your relationships stress you out? Maybe it's because they are out
of order. Do a check to make sure you are filling up with God before
scheduling anything or anyone else into your day.



Does your marriage feel stale, dull, or empty? Think about what
attracted you to your husband in the first place. Pray first and then
plan some uninterrupted time for you and your spouse. Treat your
marriage like it's the most important relationship to you on this
earth. If it's not, it needs to be.



Do your children get your leftovers? Let them know just how important
they are to you and that you are thrilled to be their mom by spending
some time with them.



Are you lonely? Pray for relationships in your life, but go to God
first. Ask Him to fill you with His Word and to nurture and grow the
relationships in your life.



Power Verses:

Psalm 46:10, "Be silent, and know that I am God! I will be honored by
every nation. I will be honored throughout the world." (NLT)

Matthew 19:4-6, "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning
the Creator made them male and female and said, 'For this reason a man
will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the
two will become one flesh?' So they are no longer two, but one.
Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." (NIV)

Psalm 127:3, "Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward
from him." (NLT)

1 Thessalonians 5:11, "So encourage each other and build each other
up, just as you are already doing." (NLT)

No comments: